Monday 25 April 2011

Sold Out Toronto Concerts (Spring Edition)


At the beginning of every new year I fall victim to the concept of the new years resolution. Each year, the one resolution that makes it onto my list no-fail, is “no more procrastination”. And each year, by the time January 31st rolls around I fail epically. Whatever, I’ll admit it, I’m a serial procrastinator, I can’t help myself. The all-nighters, annoyed friends, missed trains/busses etc are but a small price to pay for the blissful hours of watching MTV on repeat, creeping facebook or online window shopping (ok, so maybe blissful isn’t the word, but it sure as hell beats reading 200 pages of scientific literature).

While I usually don’t care about my procrastination problem, (my pp, if you will), the proverbial shit is definitely starting to hit the fan. Case in point, spring concerts.  Due to my sense of “I’ll do it later”, I’ve missed out on buying tickets for the upcoming Toronto concerts of some of my favourite bands. Here’s a short list of sold out concerts that I’m not going to, (but hopefully you are).

The Rural Alberta Advantage (April 29th, The Phoenix)
Don’t be fooled by their name, this Toronto-based trio, (fronted by Nils Endenloff on vocals), sing songs that can get you through the most dreary of Toronto days (or in my case, through the most horrible of commutes in from suburbia). While their first album, Hometowns, is by far my favourite, their sophomore album Departing almost single handedly got me through my final papers.  Both albums contain super catchy songs that will get you from April showers to May flowers to patio season (with toes tapping all the way through).  For all of the non-believers out there, here's Stamp, the first single from their second album. I dare you to hate it.


Stamp




Foals (April 30th, The Phoenix)
Kanye isn’t the only college dropout out on the block, and quite frankly, I like these ones much more. While I would never encourage anyone to drop out of university, (especially not Oxford), in the case of this particular band, all I can say is boys, well done. Ever since their song Red Socks Pugie, (from their first album, Antidotes), made its way onto my itunes nearly three years ago, it’s been a fixture on many of my playlists. For those of you who next Saturday will get to hear them sing Spanish Sahara live, all I can say is I envy you. It’s a long shot, but maybe they’ll even play their song Unthink This (a track originally released as a b-side on their Olympic Airways single).

If you haven’t yet done so, give their second album Total Life Forever a listen, you won’t regret it.


Spanish Sahara





Death Cab For Cutie (May 18th, The Phoenix)
Friends and lovers come and go, but the one thing that remains constant is my love for Death Cab. The only person whose love for DCFC rivaled mine was Seth Cohen (The OC., RIP). I must note that in the case of this particular concert I didn’t lose tickets due to procrastination/lack of effort, I lost tickets due to the volumes of 17 year olds and Twilight fans wielding their parents’ plastic. Tickets sold out in one hour! In my old age (23!!!), I’m too slow to compete with these damned kids. (Although, let’s be honest, tickets likely sold out before I even rolled out of bed). This is too painful for me to even write about, so I’m just going to leave you with their new single You Are A Tourist from their upcoming album Codes and Keys (to be released May 31st)






Honourable Mentions

Yeasayer (June 7th, The Phoenix)
I’m not too depressed about missing this concert, but anyone who can make me a Kristen Bell fan deserves a shout out. (The Madder Red music video almost makes up for three years of that shitty show Veronica Mars).

Madder Red




Adele (May 18th, The Air Canada Centre)
I’m not a super fan, but let’s face it, the girl can sing. While I don’t like every song on either of her albums, I have loved the singles that she’s released. And admit it, you loved the song Hometown Glory even more when it played on season two of the UK show Skins, (you know, the part where Cassie runs away to NYC?!).


Hometown Glory



No comments:

Post a Comment